Pages

Saturday, May 4, 2013

Getting to Know Author DeEtte Beckstead




I'm happy to have the author of Victory and The Christmas Visitors, DeEtte Beckstead, here at the desk today. She's a wonderful wordsmith who tells stories filled with hope and love. If you've read her books, you already know how special she is and if not, you're in for a treat as DeEtte shares a special promotion with us today. The links for both books are below with the cover images.
Now, let's learn more about DeEtte.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

     What is your genre of choice? Why did you choose this genre?

I write mostly in Christian fiction. I didn't intend to write this genre, it sort of just happened as I wrote the story. I like it because that is how I think. There are more popular genres, but this is my niche!


     What are you working on now?

I am working on a short story using a section that was cut from another book I wrote. That's why I like to keep the sections that are cut. They may not work for one story, but can in another.

     If you have published something, tell us about it.

Last November The Christmas Visitors was published. It's a short story about a family who gets caught in a blizzard on the way home for Christmas. They have a paranormal sighting (a demon) and have a car accident. They then meet an elderly couple at the farmhouse they go to for help. What they experience there changes their lives forever.

Victory was published in December 2012. It's the story of a little girl, and the town where she lives. The town has a history of patriotism, faith, and friendliness. The little girl, Brown Eyes, orphaned when her missionary parents were killed in a fire, lives with her only known relative who does not want the girl. When The Guest comes to town, the people open their hearts and town to him, without knowing who he is or what his motives are. Shortly after his arrival, The Stranger appears, much to the discomfort of The Guest. Slowly, the town loses its freedoms as one of the men takes over little by little. When they have a face to face showdown on the mountain, the life of the child and the future of the town are at stake.


     What did you like to do while you were growing up?

I was privileged to have a loving family as I grew up. I am the youngest of 5 children, and 18 years younger than my oldest sibling. My oldest sister was in the University of Utah marching band when I was 2 to 5 years old. They made me their mascot, and I even sometimes was on the field with them, twirling a small baton. I learned to read early, and was read to daily. I remember my mama reading Five Little Peppers and How They Grew and many others.

I loved to go fishing with my dad and my grandpa. I used to get scared when we were out in the boat and both would move to the same side when someone caught a fish. I just knew we were going to capsize! We never did, of course. They were careful, but I was little!

We also went camping as a family. We didn't have a sleeping bag for each person, so some of us slept under the stars on huge camping quilts. I still remember their musty, camp smell!


My parents loved to travel, and I usually got to go with them. We went by car, and with no air conditioning, either! Crossing the desert of Nevada and California was hot! And it seemed that we would get a flat tire somewhere in the desert!

I had a few friends growing up, but I enjoyed playing alone, too. My dad built me a puppet stage, and I would put on shows for the dogs or my nephews and niece, who were closer to my age than were my siblings!

I was in Girl Scouts and had many wonderful experiences with them, including winter camping in a Pony Express station!



     Who are your biggest supporters?

My biggest supporters are my kids and some of my close friends.


     What is the message you want people to get from your current work or work-in-progress?

In The Christmas Visitors, I want the reader to know that God always sees them and loves them. In Victory, the message is that God loves them. Period. It's about forgiveness and faith and freedom. Freedom is precious, and we must NOT take is lightly.
 
     Do your stories come more from your own experiences or from observation of others?

There are some of my own experiences in my writing, and some from others I know or know about. Some of them are purely the creation of my imagination. I do people-watch and sometimes use people I see as characters.


     Anything you would like to share with us about you and/or your writing?

I didn't start writing seriously (meaning with the possibility of publication) until I had raised my family. I had written many things over the years, and some were published in group newsletters, but I don't really count those. When I write, I write from my heart. I try to share my characters in a way the readers feel they know them. I don't know if I succeed at that or not, but I try!



     When you aren’t writing, what would we find you doing?

Crocheting, watching old movies, being with my kids and grandkids, reading...or maybe taking in a museum or concert!

 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 
Author and blogger, DeEtte Beckstead started writing in 2007 when her son challenged her to get involved in the National Novel Writing Month, known by the acronym, NaNoWriMo. The manuscript sat untouched with several others until January of 2012 when a good friend encouraged her to seek publication. The Christmas Visitors is her first published short story, and her current novel, Victory is also her first.

DeEtte spent much of her childhood playing the piano, clarinet, and guitar, reading, and making up stories. She was active in Girl Scouts, which gave her a variety of experiences. While in college, she was on the University of Utah Synchronized Swim team, and taught winter camping and survival skills for Girl Scouts. She has spent many years working with people with disabilities.  

Originally from the state of Utah, currently DeEtte lives in New England where she writes full time and works on the editing team of Master Koda Select Publishing. Her other interests include swimming, crocheting, reading, traveling, history, and her grandchildren. In addition, this devoted mother of six and grandmother of twelve has been a concerned participant in dog rescue services for many years.

 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 
DeEtte's books would make great Mother's Day gifts.
Victory is on sale through the 19th for 99 cents!
If you haven't read this 5 star rated book, grab a copy for yourself now. 
The Christmas Visitors is also on sale for 99 cents right now.
I know you'll be blessed when reading DeEtte's stories.
She has a wonderful way of touching the hearts of her readers.

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 
 
Would you like to connect with DeEtte Beckstead around the net? It's easy to find and connect with her.
Check out the links below.   
  
Blog:
http://deetteanderton.wordpress.com

Facebook:
www.facebook.com/DeEtteBecksteadAuthor        

Amazon author page:
http://www.amazon.com/DeEtteBeckstead/e/B00ADDW94Y/ref=ntt_athr_dp_pel_pop_1

AuthorsdB page:
http://www.authorsdb.com/authors-directory/66-deette-beckstead

Twitter:
https://twitter.com/DBAnderton 

Goodreads:
http://www.goodreads.com/user/show/2207218-deette-beckstead



 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~








.









3 comments: